Thursday, April 26, 2012

Hugh Forgey reference Deeds Knox County, TN

I've been so busy with the 1940 Census I haven't had time to do an analysis of the deeds I received from Knox County Archives for Hugh Forgey. I had hoped one of these deeds would be a purchase deed for Hugh Forgey's 250 acres on Flat Creek. Unfortunately none were purchase deeds. In fact none of the deeds were transactions for Hugh. He was a witness or mentioned in these deeds. They are all helpful, however, because they name associates and neighbors. Since no census records exist for this time period (1790's) the deeds help to identify the Forgey neighbors. The deed to the right top contains a property description. Hugh Forgey's property is mentioned as bordering this very large tract. It's a 4000 acre tract so it doesn't narrow the area of the possible location of Hugh's land by that much. I need to map out these tracts to get a better picture of where the land may have been? That's my next project. The John Meek (to the right) was witnessed by Hugh Forgey. I don't know whether this Meek is a relative of Agnes Meek who married Hugh's Uncle Alexander Forgey in Washington County, VA? I do think it is highly likely that Alexander Forgey and Andrew Forgey of Maury County, TN were son's of Alexander Forgey Sr. of Washington County, VA. I had been a little troubled about not find Andrew or Alexander listed in taxlists for Washington County, VA. Actually there are several possible reasons for this including living in someone else's household, possibly working on another farm or as an apprentice? There are unnamed young men living in Alexander's household, but they are not listed on every taxlist.
Another deed to the right bottom was witnessed by Hugh Forgey and John Reynolds, Hugh's Uncle and neighbor on Little Flat Creek. They witnessed this deed for the prominent citizen of the area Nicolas Gibbs.
I am happy I ordered these deeds. I think it's important to collect and analyze any scrap of paper involving the family in that area.

No comments: