Sunday, October 20, 2024

How Are the New AncestryDNA Ethnicity Results Looking? Including Comparisons With First Cousins

 

The new AncestryDNA ethnicity results are looking pretty good! They're a lot better than when I first tested back in 2014. I even have French admixture now, which is a first at Ancestry. I'm glad that my French Canadian great-grandfather is now represented in my results! 

French Canadian Ancestry

I was curious about how much DNA I'd inherit from a great-great-grandfather, so I asked Gemini and ChatGPT. They both said the average is around 6.25%, but there's a slim chance I might not share any DNA with him at all. I know that's not the case for me because I have French Canadian matches and I'm in a few Quebec Settlers groups on Ancestry. It always seemed odd to be in those groups without having any French ancestry show up in my results. Now, with the update, I have 3% French! That seems about right.

Irish and German Ancestry

My Irish went down a bit, from 22% to 19%. My German went up to 23% and comes from my dad's side, which makes sense. His dad, Rudolph, was from a German-speaking Austro-Hungarian family. Ancestry says my mom is about 13% German, but Sideview says I didn't get any German from her. That doesn't seem right since I have matches on her German lines.

The best improvement is that my grandfather Rudolph Kapple is finally represented in my ethnicity estimate! It's not 100% correct, but it's close.

Comparing Cousin Results

I compared my results with my paternal first cousins (unfortunately, no maternal first cousins have tested with Ancestry). It highlights some probable errors with the estimated percentages.

Our paternal grandfather was Austro-Hungarian, with ancestors from both Austria and Hungary. He was born near Graz, Austria. When I first tested, I had NO German admixture. Now I have 23%. Here's how my German admixture compares with my cousins:

  • Me: 23%
  • Cousin Darryl: 7%
  • Cousin Judy: 19%

Judy's 19% isn't far off from my 23%, but Darryl's 7% doesn't seem accurate. He has 13% Eastern European and 3% Balkan on our shared Kapple line, which would also represent our grandfather's heritage. He even has some Spanish on that line. If you add those up, it represents our grandfather's heritage much better. Judy also has 5% Central and Eastern European, so her totals represent our grandfather well, too. It's great to finally see our grandfather's heritage showing up in our results!

These cousins and I also share an Irish great-grandmother. Here's how our Irish results look:

  • Me: 19%
  • Cousin Darryl: 27%
  • Cousin Judy: 35%

Sideview says our Irish comes from our shared grandmother, Dorothy Mason-Kapple. She was half Irish; her mother, Helen Mullen-Mason, was born in Ireland. We should each have around 12.5% Irish from her. Every Ancestry update brings my Irish percentage down, which is probably correct. I think they tend to overestimate Irish ancestry. Judy likely has Irish on both sides of her family, so it's not an easy comparison.

Here's a comparison of our French admixture:

  • Me: 3%
  • Darryl: 4%
  • Judy: 0%

Since we share around 6.25% of our DNA with our great-great-grandparents, my results and Darryl's seem pretty accurate. Judy's result isn't; she should have inherited some French DNA from our great-great-grandfather.

Comparing my results

If you compare these results from 2014:

And this year's update:


You can see how far these tests have come! 

Overall Impressions

Overall, for what these tests can do, the results are pretty good! If you compare my results from 2014 and the recent update, it's clear that AncestryDNA ethnicity estimates have come a long way!

No comments: