Monday, November 26, 2012

Civil War Pension CD


I received the Civil War Pension file on CD from the National Archives a little more than a week ago. In the past it took months to get the file after they received your order. It now can take as little as 3 weeks. I got mine about 2 1/2 later weeks after ordering. I was shocked to find out how much the price has increased since I last ordered a Pension file. It now costs $80 dollars for a copy of the full file. So I ordered 8 pages at a cost of $30. Ordering is much easier than in the past. The last Pension I ordered in early 2000 I had to make out a form and snail mail it to them. Online ordering now speeds up the process.

I was thrilled with the contents of the file I received for James H. Owens. It confirmed my relationship to him. It confirmed that he was the same man who appeared on the 1900 Census in Kansas. It resolved conflicting information. Both James and his wife Christina claimed to be widowed while both were still living. They evidently were falsifying some of their information for their own reasons.
So the missing James H. Owens has now officially be found!



No comments: