Monday, March 4, 2024

The Best of RootsTech 2024/from my online experience




I didn't attend RootsTech 2024 in person, I streamed many classes live, and watched some later. I chose what I watched based on the projects I'm currently working on. Lately I've been working with deeds, photos, and my DNA results. I don't have as much time to work on my family history as I had in the past so I'm also interested in AI, and how it can save me time. 

I heard that a favorite presentation on AI was an in person class presented by Steve Little. I looked for a Youtube video he may have presented on the subject to get an idea of what he presented at RootsTech. I found a presentation on Youtube he gave in 2023, which was very good! It's called  "Empowering Genealogists with Artificial Intelligence 6 September 2023" on YouTube. 

The best announcements at RootsTech 2024:
  • The new Experimental Full Text search at FamilySearch
  • Ancestry is going to allow you to view the shared cMs that your shared matches share with each other
  • MyHeritage has a new Newspaper site called "Old News" which it introduced at Rootstech
  • Recognize Ancestors is coming to Ancestry.com which will search their database of photos for possible matches to an unknown person in a photo
  • New and expanded ethnicity estimates will be coming to MyHeritage this summer
My Favorite RootsTech 2024 presentations:
  • You Can DO the DNA #1–Get Started (or Restarted) Diahan Southard
  • FamilySearch Tech Forum Craig Miller Michelle Barber Todd Powell Sarah Hammon Bill Mangum
  • AI and Genealogy: Trouble Ahead? Thomas MacEntee
  • Brick Wall Ancestors Need a Search Party Diahan Southard Janet Hovorka Crista Cowan
  • You Can DO the DNA #2–Get Your Best Ethnicity Estimate Diahan Southard
  • You Can DO the DNA #3–Light Your DNA Match List on Fire! Diahan Southard
  • Brick Walls! Real? or Created Through Faulty Research? Barbara Vines Little
  • You Can DO the DNA #4–See What DNA Success Looks Like: Real Case Studies Diahan Southard
  • Diseases our Ancestors Faced and How Those Illnesses Changed Our World Gregory C. Gardner
  • Finding Milly: Tracing enslaved ancestors using Experimental Search Andre Kearns 
  • What’s New at Ancestry® in 2024 Crista Cowan
I thought RootsTech 2024 was one of the best. There was more tech because of AI than in previous years. The shorter presentations, that were presented as a result of the COVID pandemic, weren't as detailed. The hour-long presentations were much better. The presentations I listed above will continue to be available to watch at the RootsTech site

No comments: