Friday, July 21, 2023

How My Segment Map Has Helped With An Irish Match

A new DNA match popped up at 23andMe with the surname Rattigan. This person lives in Ireland. This could refer back to my Huane/Rhatigan line? The only information I have about the maiden name of a great-great-great grandmother comes from a pension application with information from the 1851 Census. My great-great grandmother and her brother applied for pensions. The applications states the maiden name of their mother was Rhatigan. I haven't found any other information to support that. My new DNA match may confirm my great-great-great grandmother was Bridget Rhatigan?



My new Rattigan match shares one 7 cM segment and one 28.46 cM segment. Sharing 2 segments leads me to believe this is a valid match, as does the person's paternal line is from County Mayo where my Rattigans would have lived. Checking Genome Mate Pro segment map I don't have any named segments on the 7 cM chromosome. 

I do have a portion of chromosome 21 identified as coming from my Irish Mullen/Huane line. Unfortunately I only know that a couple matches on that chromosome are of Irish heritage but don't know exactly who our common ancestors are? One lives in Australia. I live in the United States.

 

Using my segment map I noticed the Australian match and the Irish Rattigan match share the exact same segment, along with another person. 




Unfortunately, I'm the only descendant of the Rattigan line who has tested at 23andMe. My aunt, who tested at Family Tree DNA, would be a better person to compare with this match. Fortunately I have the Genome Mate Pro segment map. Looking at the map I notice I do share a segment with my aunt on chromosome 21 where my 23andMe match and Australian match also do.

 

I have that segment on my aunt's chromosome 21 identified as coming from a descendant of Thomas Huvane/Huane. The wife of Thomas Huane was Bridget Rhatigan according to the pension information. 

At this time this match seems to be pointing to the Rattigan/Huane line of County Mayo, Ireland. We have the match stating her paternal line was from Mayo, I have segment map data confirming segment chr 21 is of Irish origin, and my aunt has a confirmed Huvane/Huane match on segment 21. 

Since I have matches who haven't tested at every site, plus most of my matches on my Irish line have no posted trees, DNA segment data is very important. The reason they don't have trees is because most of the church records in the area where our ancestors lived have been destroyed. We need DNA and the segment information to try to piece our family trees together. I've contacted the match at 23andMe, but most matches never reply. Fingers crossed they do. 







No comments: