Monday, December 7, 2020

Family History Related Stocking Stuffers/ Plus Personalized Greeting Cards from the 50's

 Stocking Stuffers

I love family photos so I love to find unique ways to display them. I hate to hide old photos away in albums which I only occasionally take out and look at. There are many interesting products which photos can be printed on ranging from coffee mugs to photo blankets (now you can even buy photo masks). I generally use Snapfish or Shutterfly. I also sometimes order from my local drugstores. 

Since I'm in the process of downsizing photos magnets have caught my interest. I first discovered them a couple months ago when I had some old photos enlarged and received an offer for 4x6 magnets. I decided to print one with a photo of a house my Forgey family lived in during the 1930's. It came out so well I decided this is the way to go in the future because framed photos take up so much space and buying frames can be expensive. The magnets make great stocking stuffer gifts. The magnets are space savers and neater than taping photos or using a magnet to display them on the refrigerator because they tend to warp over time and can't be easily cleaned. The full magnet backing makes them more durable and less likely to shift as you open and close the doors. 

These magnet on my refrigerator are of a photo chart I made with photos of my parents and ancestors, and my Forgey family's house in 1930's Glendale, California. I ordered them from a local CVS Drug Store. The size is 4x6. That size is the largest I've seen online. I would have liked the chart a little bigger so the smallest photos are a bit larger. I used the DIY Picture Pedigree Chart template from Family Locket for the chart below. 


If you want to make larger magnets you can order larger sheets with adhesive on them. A 12x24 sheet is for sale at Amazon. You cut it up to fit any size photos you have and stick the photos on. 


Potholders are also nice photo gifts. You can have a family tree printed on them with or without photos. 


Water bottles are another way you can share family history with your family. 


Personalized Greeting Cards from the 1950's

I was surprised when an Aunt sent me some photo Christmas cards my Grandparents received in the 1950's from friends. I didn't know they had those in the 1950's? 

Lawrence Holman pictured in this one below was a neighbor of my Forgey family in the 1930's in Glendale, California. An interesting fact about him is he debated Richard Nixon when they were college students and he beat him in the debate. He became a Nazarene Minister and his church is pictured on this card. Even though my Grandfather Forgey was a non believer, and my Grandmother Graciela was Catholic, they remained friends even after they were no longer neighbors.  


Chester and Belle Powell sent my Grandparents this card in 1950. They lived not far from my family in El Monte, California and they also lived in Glendale, California in the 1930's. 



This hand drawn card is a work of art. This one was sent to my Uncle Cecil in the 1950's I believe? Merry Christmas is written in Greek, apparently from Greek friends. My Uncle spent time in Greece while he was in the Navy. 


Uncle Cecil Forgey looking tanned and good in Greece. 


Happy Holidays! 

No comments: